Students pursuing a Bachelor of Computer Science (BCS) or Bachelor of Mathematics (BMath) degree may enrol in up to three academic plans, subject to the limitations below. These rules also apply to the set of plans that appear on a student’s diploma and convocation program, and they apply to the student’s transcript as well, with the exception that notes may be added to the transcript to reflect successful completion of plans beyond the third one.
Note: The rules in this section do not apply to students seeking a Bachelor of Computing and Financial Management (BCFM), Bachelor of Science (BSc), or Bachelor of Software Engineering (BSE) degree.
Eligible Plan Categories (in plan-sequencing priority order – top highest, bottom lowest)
Plans will be listed on a student’s diploma in the above order.
- “Stand-alone” Math Faculty Honours plans
- Math Faculty Joint Honours plans
- Non-Math Joint Honours plans
- Math Faculty minors or options
- Non-Math minors or options
Every BCS or BMath student’s plans must include:
More plans may be added subject to the other restrictions of this section.
- A stand-alone Math Faculty Honours plan, or
- Two Math Faculty Joint Honours plans, or
- A Joint BCS plan and a non-Math Joint Honours plan.
The plan listed first on a graduating student’s diploma will dictate the student’s degree: if the first plan is a BCS plan, then the student will graduate with a BCS. If the first plan is a BMath plan, then the student will graduate with a BMath.
Restrictions on Multiple-Plan Combinations
- A stand-alone BMath plan cannot be combined with any BCS plan.
- Combining Computational Mathematics and Computer Science has additional restrictions, and any such combination must be approved by advisors of both plans.
- With the exception of Mathematical Finance, which can be combined with another Actuarial Science and/or Pure Mathematics plan, no student may enrol in or graduate from two plans from the same group in the following list:
All plans offered by Actuarial Science
All plans offered by Applied Mathematics
All plans offered by Combinatorics and Optimization (including all Mathematical Optimization plans)
All plans offered by Computational Mathematics
All plans offered by Computer Science
All plans offered by Pure Mathematics
All plans offered by Statistics
All Math/Business plans other than Mathematical Economics
Specific Invalid Multiple-Plan Combinations
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)/BCS or BBA/BMath with Double Degree plans
|| Any plan similar to one appearing on the student's Wilfrid Laurier University's academic record transcript
|BCS/Business Option or BMath (Computer Science)/Business Option
|A minor or option in Economics, Human Resources Management, or Management Studies
|Any Bioinformatics plan
|Any other plan offered by the Biology Department
|Applied Mathematics/Biology Option
||Any plan offered by the Biology Department
|Applied Mathematics/Earth Sciences Option
|Any plan offered by the Earth and Environmental Sciences Department
|Applied Mathematics/Economics Option
|Any plan offered by the Economics Department
|Applied Mathematics/Physics Option
|Any plan offered by the Physics Department
|Information Technology Management
|A minor in Computer Science
|Any other plan offered by the Economics Department
|Any other plan offered by the Physics Department
|Mathematical Studies (with or without a Business Specialization)
|Any other Stand-Alone or Math Joint plan
|Mathematical Studies/Business Specialization
|A Management Studies Option or Minor
|Scientific Computation/Applied Mathematics
|Any plan offered by Computer Science or by Computational Mathematics