All Bachelor of Arts (BA) students must meet the BA Breadth Requirements:
|Fine, Performing, and Communication Arts
||DAC, DRAMA, FINE, MUSIC, SPCOM, VCULT
||CLAS, ENGL, HIST, MEDVL, PHIL, RS
|Languages and Cultures
||CHINA, CROAT, DUTCH, EASIA, FR, GER, GRK, ITAL, ITALST, JAPAN, JS, KOREA, LAT, POLSH, PORT, REES, RUSS, SI, SPAN. See Notes 3 and 4 below.
||ANTH, ECON, PSCI, PSYCH, SDS, SOC. See Note 1 below.
||AFM, APPLS, ARBUS, ARTS, CMW, HRM, HUMSC, INTST, IS, LS, NATST, PACS, SMF, SOCWK, WS. Also any course taken in another University of Waterloo faculty. See Note 5 below.
- No more than one academic course unit (two courses) in the same discipline may count towards the Social Sciences requirement.
- Cross-listed courses may be designated to fulfill any one requirement. For example, a student registered in PACS 203/HIST 232 may receive credit for either the Transdisciplinary Studies requirement or the Humanities requirement, but not for both.
- Students enrolled in the Rhetoric and Professional Writing (RPW) plan offered by the Department of English Language and Literature must take two language courses (i.e., culture courses taught in English will not fulfill the requirement for these students). RPW students may take two courses in different languages.
- Language courses accepted as transfer credits, including courses in American Sign Language, may be counted towards the Languages and Cultures requirement.
- Because Professional Development (PD) courses are not regular academic courses, they do not fulfill any of the breadth requirements.
- For students enrolled in an Arts degree program prior to September 2008, refer to the Group A and B requirements. Those students who wish instead to adhere to the new Breadth Requirements (effective September 2008) do so by petition to the Examinations and Standings Committee.