Link to the University of Waterloo home page Advanced Search or
The Undergraduate Calendar

Academic Information

Course Information

Letter of Permission
Printable Version Printable Version

Students who are in Satisfactory standing or better may request permission to take a course(s) at another university for credit toward their degree at the University of Waterloo. A maximum of five (5.0) units can be obtained this way. Credit will be given only if the grade is 60% or higher and the Letter of Permission is approved by the school/department associate director/chair, undergraduate studies, before taking each course. Students should provide details of the course(s) to be taken, appropriate course descriptions and the reasons for the request. All courses taken on a Letter of Permission will be recorded with a grade of Credit granted (CR) and will not factor into average calculations. It will be the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent to the Office of the Registrar, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, within two months of the completion of the course(s).


The granting of any Letter of Permission by the University of Waterloo does not necessarily ensure that the student will be able to enrol in the approved course at the other university. There may be restrictions on class enrolment etc., at that institution. Students should contact that institution's Office of the Registrar for procedural details. Any changes to the original Letter of Permission course selection must be resubmitted for approval prior to completion of the course.


Office of the Registrar
University of Waterloo
2nd Floor, Needles Hall
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
519 888 4567

contact us | UWaterloo home | privacy | powered by InterGlobal Solutions